Monday, February 25, 2013

A Lovely Year of Finishes February Buzzsaw

Thanks to the motivation of A Lovely Year of Finishes, and the Oscars I completed my Buzzsaw quilt last night.
  I broke out of my comfort zone with these colors, but decided to add a little color to my life,  and bright color at that. Hubby and I had lots of hmmmm's during the construction but upon completion hubby declared he liked it, I think it is growing on me, the jury is still out.  I think it was such a contrast from my usual color choices that we were both startled.  I guess it doesn't matter how many years you have been quilting.....you can always learn something new.  I always tell my students to work outside of the box, these colors were definitely new for me.  I would love to hear what you think of the quilt, constructive criticism is always good, and I would like to know what you really think.
Well, today's journey takes me to a visit with my oncologist two and half years since my breast cancer.  On this anniversary I would like to remind all of you to get your mammogram and to practice monthly self exams, sometimes I think that we think it only happens to someone else, early detection is so important.  But I'm a survivor, and ready for today's journey, Life is a journey, ENJOY your day!

15 comments:

  1. Love the colors! Found you via Barbara from CatPatches; I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and glad you like the colors

      Delete
  2. I like the colours in the quilt and they work very well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks thye were batiks I have collected for several years.

      Delete
  3. Very lovely quilt. Yes, the mammos are important. I am a 15 year survivor because of the mammo. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is encouraging to hear of survival years I am so happy for you!

      Delete
  4. I think it's lovely! I like the colors. Congrats on your being cancer free! I am due for my first-ever mammogram this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad to hear your preparing for your first mammo, they are an important part of our preventive health program.

      Delete
  5. I'm anxious to see this first hand. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments and I am pleased you like the colors. it has been a learning experience for me to work with the brighter colors

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title grabbed me first, and love that name! I am working on new color combos, also. It pushes me out of my comfort zone for sure! I think the little bright spots of warm mixed with the cool colors make all the difference in your quilt. It needed a little zing and that did it. The color arrangement makes my eyes wander over the surface, as does the design and quilting. That is how I determine a good quilt design. I give you the gold statue. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the colours in this quilt. It is very warm and inviting and modern-looking. And by coincidence, I am having my annual mamogram this afternoon. The new machines are not unpleasant like the old ones. They don't squish you at all! And the nurse is so warm and professional that it is hard to be shy and uncomfortable around her. So nothing to dread. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct that the mammograms are much kinder now and so important. Early detection is the key, so hooray for you to keep up with it. I was trying for modern in my quilt I am thrilled you thought it was.

      Delete