Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rainy Sunday

Every other Sunday, son comes for Sunday Dinner and today was the day.  Hubby set the alarm for
5:30 am, that is our regular arising time but someone changed the clock an hour ahead and I really got up at 4:30, I love the extra daylight but for the next couple of weeks I'm sure my sleep pattern will not be right with the world.  But that too will change given time.  Before I started my lunch preparations I was able to quilt a row on the Log Cabin and turn the quilt, woohoo one more row and the quilting will be half completed!  But after turning the quilt it was time to go cook, we had a nice lunch and visit and as we were putting away the leftovers I noticed there were enough sweet potatoes left to made cookies.  Hmmm, wonder if that is why I baked 5 sweet potatoes for the three of us, I'll never tell.
My doctor has recommended I eat no meat and no dairy, which I do find challenging at times and it has been difficult for me to find cake like items that I can eat without guilt.  Really, what can you make without eggs, oil,etc, you know all the good stuff.
In my research I came across this recipe:
Fruit Cookies
1 1/2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1/4 cup stevia
1 cup cinnamon applesauce
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
a handful dried cranberries
a handful chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
Place everything in mixer bowl and blend until mixed thoroughly
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

The original recipe called for bananas and cinnamon instead of sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie spice  they are very good also. but I didn't have bananas but I did have sweet potatoes.  You can use sugar instead of stevia, I just try to stay away from processed sugar.  I used quick oats so they would be more cake like.  They are soft and chewy and very moist.  Old fashioned oats or steel cut oats would make them a little less moist.  A testimony that they taste pretty good is that hubby ate three out of the oven and he has no dietary issues.  I am kind of a watchdog over what he consumes and when I said I didn't care how many of these he ate, he then chose to go for the third one and we had just finished lunch.

Here they are cooling, a few less then what were baked.  They are fat free and healthy.
Don't think I will get anymore quilting completed today, I'm tired, sleepy and a little lazy this rainy Sunday, I learned some time ago that it is not wise for me to quilt when I am tired as I might just have to "unsew".  So I will relax this evening , try to adjust my biological clock and start my journey again tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Ms Cha Cha Cat said her was very happy people finally listened and put the time back right. Cats do NOT adapt to "fall back!"

    Your cookies look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole time change deal messes with almost everyone, unless they live in Arizona or parts if Indiana. I am in awe of your will power, because if my doctor told me that, I would be in a panic. I am not very fond of most vegetables. Interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies look great and I bet they are yummy. I don't like this time so much; but I can live with it. Love you lots. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies look very yummy. Must try the recipe as I love anything that reduces the fat content.Here in the UK the clocks don't change until later this month (must check exactly when).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cookies look good! I would have to change the oats to cracked wheat or rice crispies due to an oat allergy. I had to go vegan for a while. When I was put back on meat I actually gagged at the smell of a steak cooking.

    You are my hero and inspiration.
    I am trying to sew at least 5 days a week.
    Sue McGarry

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my new blog friends just posted a cookie recipe-thinking perfect for you http://tsdailytreasures.blogspot.com/2013/03/breakfast-cookie.html

    ReplyDelete