Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Monday Musings

In an effort to get more done this month my feet hit the floor running yesterday.  A busy day of students three in all with the last one leaving about 5:30 in the evening.  So it was time to wind down, yesterday was a lovely sunny day, hubby had mowed the lawn early in the morning and discovered this fungus at the base of one of our trees.
And another view....
He checked with our good friend Google, but he had no definite answer for us.  Has any of my readers come across this type of fungus before in their area?
It is 12" across and I was able to see it quite visibly from our bedroom window this morning and it had no signs of withering from the view of my window.
Hubby and I took a little walk around our lawn, especially to visit the fungus we have an acre of land so there was several things to look at.  One being the peonies, the blooms look nice but they are laying down from all the heavy wind and rain we have had recently, and then of course my Knockout Roses, who are also showing the effects of the weather but they are a hardy sort so they weathered a little better than the peonies.
The peonies are in the background and the photo is taken from our driveway. 
We haven't taken the time to put our spring much down yet, so hopefully I will be able to get another photo of the roses in their second bloom before it gets too hot with the new mulch.
Since we had our crockpot Apple Oatmeal for breakfast and a large bowl of spaghetti for lunch I felt a light evening meal was in order so after a vegetable plate, dear hubby popped some popcorn in coconut oil.  Since we have chosen to go gluten free many of the recipes I have found incorporate coconut oil so I started to investigate it's use and found it to have significant health benefits so we have discarded other oils for this substitution.
Before our popcorn I was able to squeeze in a little time for some blanket stitch applique by machine on the ghost wall quilt.
All the white around the ghosts is complete so there is little left to do and it will be ready for quilting.
My goal for this week was to finish the challenge, applique and quilt the ghosts and quilt a quilt for others on my long arm, hmmm it's only Tuesday, that might just happen. 
Guess I best get finished here, my first student should arrive any minute.  Hope your day goes well and you enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love your knockout roses; mine bloomed a little, I planted them last year; hope they do better this year. Love you my friend, Janet

    ReplyDelete